Teak is a durable wood that can be used for both indoor and outdoor furniture. Proper maintenance is important to keep your teak furniture looking beautiful year after year. We recommend keeping your teak furniture clean and free of debris. Washing it is simple, and doing so will avoid the buildup of dirt, and keep your furniture fresh and clean. We like to compare teak furniture care with how you care for your car that is kept outside, keep it clean and cared for, and it will last longer.
Here is a helpful video on how we believe your teak should be cleaned:
Things You Will Need
- Brush with medium to soft bristles (sponge is okay too)
- Water supply (garden hose works best)
- A soft solution that will not harm the teak (We recommend Simple Green products)
- Dry cloth
- Gloves (optional)
The 10 Simple Steps on How to Clean Your Teak Furniture
- Remove all cushions and anything non teak including leaves and other debris.
- Rinse the item thoroughly with a hose on a medium setting. Do not use a strong pressure setting, this will damage the wood.
- Mix a small amount of the solution with water in a bucket.
- Put the brush in the mixture and then gently begin scrubbing your furniture.
- Start off with a small area to make sure the solution does not damage the teak.
- When cleaning, scrub with the grain, not against it.
- Make sure to gently scrub in between cracks and in corners.
- Brush diligently but not too harsh as to make sure to not damage the wood.
- After cleaning, rinse the solution off and then it rest and wait for it to dry.
- Use drying cloth or let dry naturally with sunlight.
Other things to note:
Always be sure to rinse the solution off completely. Drying can take anywhere from 24 – 36 hours if dried naturally. Never use aggressive, harsh or two part acid solutions as they may compromise the integrity of the teak furniture. Any type of finishing product for teak furniture such as teak a sealer, or special coating should be applied to clean dry pieces of furniture. We recommend having this professionally done, and we are happy to refer you to the most qualified people in the business.